View Single Post
Old 08-08-2019, 11:19 PM

in some people common sense prevails even in most difficult circumstances.

CBC: Proposed handgun ban is 'nonsense' that doesn't address roots of violence, says Toronto mother

Quote:

What do you want to see from police and governments when it comes to putting an end to this kind of gun violence?

I want them to address the Roots of Youth Violence [report]. It's imperative.

It recommends positive youth spaces. It recommends trauma counselling and trauma supports to all the communities and victims, which is very difficult to find.

The education system needs to have smaller class sizes.

We need to stop suspending the students and expelling the students for the behaviours that they're displaying and take an actual positive approach to finding what the underlying issues are that that child is dealing with and stop sending them out into the street for the street to then embrace them.

So, I mean there's so many different aspects of it and no one is acting on it.

As you know, this is an issue that all three levels of government have been talking about and promising to address. In Ottawa today, Canada's Minister of Border Security and Organized Crime Reduction, Bill Blair, said many measures must be taken to reduce gun violence and that a handgun ban may be one of those. Ms. Fox was your son killed by a handgun?

Yes.

And so what is your take on the idea of a handgun ban?

I think that it is nonsense. I think that it doesn't matter if there's a handgun ban, like street level wise, because they'll get access to the handguns anyways.

We live beside the border of the biggest manufacturing gun place in the world.

As long as we live beside that border and there is no commonsense regulation there those firearms are just going to be in greater demand and they'll get access to those.

Yes, I hear what some of the survivors are saying in terms of, you know, ban the handguns, at least they won't have handguns here to be able to steal and access. But, I mean, we haven't even tried to address the roots of violence.

I think that the ban is an overreaction, especially when we know that they'll still be accessing the firearms and it will not deter them from using them.

Those are your calls to the governments. What is your call to us, your fellow Canadians?

To step up and and get involved. I mean, if you think that you're exempt from a stray bullet, you're not. I can attest to that.

My son was a hardworking person. He was a dedicated father and he went out for a night of fun.

At 26 years old, we should be able to go to a club and and be safe and enjoy ourselves. I know that I did.

So get involved. Ask the political leaders to do their jobs.