View Single Post
Old 07-19-2021, 12:22 PM

Screenshot 2021-07-19 at 12-11-50 ROYAL BANK OF CANADA.jpg

Screenshot 2021-07-19 at 12-38-29 TELUS Corp.jpg

Click on screenshot to expand. Had you bought at the highest point in any given year for RBC or Telus, despite the fluctuations you would still be a long ways up from where you started. If you check the charts for the other stocks below they look pretty much the same over ten years, and even more so over 20.
If you can pick up the stock on a large dip like the recent Covid one, you can really magnify your returns but as you can see, over a ten year period those real big dips don't happen very often. That is exactly why I am not a fan of trying to time the market, as long as you are buying top quality, long term hold, dividend paying type stocks and use the DRIP programs. My thoughts on what I consider good long term holds for me has never changed, Royal Bank, TD, Visa, Coke a Cola, Trans Canada Pipe,TRP, Enbridge ENB, Pembina Pipe PPL, Fortis, BCE, Telus, Canadian Ulities, Alberta Energy, Costco, Freehold Royalties, and a couple of REITS, Canadian Apartment, H&R Reit, Dream Industrial.

Even if a guy couldn't pull the trigger at the bottom in March, April May of 2020, that is more than a year ago. Sitting on the sidelines for the last 6-8 months has been very expensive in terms of foregone earnings.

Last edited by Dean2; 07-19-2021 at 12:41 PM.