View Single Post
Old 09-19-2017, 10:49 PM

Default 760 / 7600 Rem or a BLR

We live in Alberta, obviously!!!

Some of us hunt down to -30 C some seasons, sometimes getting out of a warm truck with a warm rifle.

Some of us hunt in Swan Hills Gumbo that claims the lives of anything mechanical, especially in the rain.

Back in the late 70's I worked with a hard living, hard hunting hard drinking, harder drinking, hardest drinking man at the Westgate Coop: Irv Lorenz.

He lived for hunting moose, and always used a Remington 760 in 30.06. In his life somewhere around 30 moose, a lot more deer, etc.

I'm on my third. They do shoot 3 inch groups out at 300 yards, easily 1 - 2 inch at 100 & 200 yards. Your eye is always on the scope, your finger is always on the trigger, and you re load in an instant. The barrels are on "hangers" so are not easily replaced, which is fine for most users.

Problem with Semis is they can jam up when wet, cold, greasy, dirty. The Pump does not jam up.

Why Remington does not produce a magnum lineup in the 7600 is beyond me. Why they don't do a stainless version is strange as well.

I hand load a 165 grain Hornady BTSP with Winchester 760 at 2900 fps. The barrels are somewhat shorter on the Remington 7600, but it groups very very well with this load combo.

Use new brass for hunting loads and if your brass is starting to stretch on reloading, toss it. Pumps do not have the same cam action of a bolt, and like a Semi, you don't want to fight getting a spent round out of the gun when hunting. However, the rotating lug on the 7600 seats a bullet very nicely, and you will be pleased with the results.

Drewski