View Single Post
Old 02-03-2011, 11:46 AM

So I finally got a reply to my email. Here is what it said.
Thank you for your inquiry. You’ve brought up a good point that I will try to clarify in a future edition of the Sportfishing Guide.
If a waterbody (of any sort) is listed specifically in the “Lake and Stream Listings” and the angler catches a species of fish that is not listed for that waterbody, then the angler may retain fish in accordance with the “provincewide maximum possession” listed on page 18 of the 2010 Alberta Guide to Sportfishing Regulations.
If a waterbody is not specifically listed in the “Lake and Stream Listings” then an angler needs to: 1) abide by any size limits and quotas listed under the heading of ”Site-Specific Regulations” for that particular watershed zone, then 2) ensure that they don’t exceed the “provincewide maximum possession”.
After following the steps described above, an angler would be able to retain three pike of any size from most (but not all) stocked trout ponds. It’s worthwhile noting that the stocking program is not operated in the same way every year and sometimes new management goals are established for a waterbody.
If you have any further questions relating to sportfishing regulations, I would encourage you to contact the Fish and Wildlife Division district office nearest where you live, dialling 310-0000 for toll-free directory assistance within Alberta. **
Ben Branscombe
Regulations Officer - Alberta Fish and Wildlife Division

It sounds like they are going to try and clarify things a bit better this year.