View Single Post
Old 09-13-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Who is this chart meant for?

The really really "slow" people?

With an initial population of one Bull and One cow, Shoot either and there are no baby moose.... This chart is faulty from its conception
I beg to differ.
It’s not faulty from its conception at all because realistically we’re not talking about an initial population of only one bull and one cow.
One bull can service several cows each fall and a cow that isn’t bred in September will come into estrous every 3-4 weeks until December or until she “hooks up”.So if you have 5 bulls and 5 cows let’s say,you can shoot 3 or 4 bulls and all 5 cows are still gonna get bred and produce the same 5-10 calves next Spring,but every cow you shoot potentially takes 3 moose out of the herd with one bullet,plus all of the future offspring from the original cow and any female calves down the line.
Again,it’s not meant to be a simplistic approach to moose management nor to insult your intelligence,but rather I believe it’s to help encourage hunters in areas with either sex tags to harvest bulls vs. cows if given the choice.
....and let’s face it,many hunters aren’t the sharpest pencil in the box and a lil reminder that cows are the future can’t hurt.
All it’s saying is if you hunt in an either sex jurisdiction and have the opportunity to take a cow,maybe you might want hold out for a bull?Its playing on the conservation minded hunter’s conscience to “do the right thing” for the future of moose hunting.

Last edited by West O'5; 09-13-2018 at 11:03 AM.