View Single Post
Old 09-08-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipco View Post
I'd be interested to hear what you might consider a true outdoorsman?

Why is it that Environmentalists and folks interested in preserving and maintaining ecological balance to the best of human ability get maligned and bashed?

Ignorance, stupidity and fear ( of something taken away that should be a "god given right") seem to be major factors.

Thanx for providing the links Smitty.
^This.

The problem with using such a broad paintbrush to stereotype environmentalists is then turnabout is fair play, right?

I have no doubt that many environmentally oriented organizations have some radically inclined members. At the end of the day, I choose to judge them by that THEY choose to publish as their official stances on a variety of issues under the full scrutiny of the public spotlight.

They publicly state they are not against any of things they are regularly accused of and are bashed for. And if they tried to engage in a public conversation about ending public access, ending hunting and fishing, I would naturally fight tooth and nail against that.

Circling back to the early point about broad paintbrushes, I find it interesting that so much misinformation gets freely bandied about without being challenged. The AO forum generally leans to the right; there are far more liberal and ndp bashing than on the right side. Fair enough. No one (certainly not I) has a problem with that. Or if I did, that's life. Everyone seems to find a place these days on the 'net.

But it makes me chuckle and shake my head when posters often trumpet "get informed and educated"; like they are masters or occupiers of the exclusive domain of being "correct" and "informed" as if it belongs to those who only agree and confirms their biased worldview.

Stated differently, in short, I suppose the equivalent of accusing the environmentalists of having this "hidden, conspiratorial" agenda is the exact flip of the coin on the other side. In other words, I guess every WR, PC, and UCP supporter is fan of white nationalism, state-sponsored Christianity, permanent inequality for women and the LGTBQ community. Because those radical elements DO exist in the right wing. Shall we judge them and every policy issue based on the minority? Just who is being victimized here by the tyranny of the minority then?

Wait...too broad a brush?

Public discourse is best served when people choose to look past their own worldviews and confirmation biases and, instead, apply equally standards of scrutiny and rational thought to every issue. No?

Happy Trails,
Smitty

P.S. Anyways, after de-railing my own thread, I'll stand with the original point. Made the phone call, signed the petition, glad I did it. Cross one bridge at a time.