View Single Post
Old 10-22-2020, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind drift View Post
You missed my point. I’ll try again. Comparing numbers of stocked trout isn’t meaningful or correct. Stocking amounts need to be compared on the basis of biomass. You appear to be drawing conclusions based on a flawed comparison. Also, while I have a great deal of respect for the time you spend on the water, I don’t believe that one’s observations of the bug community and numbers provide a means to reliable know trends, which must consider averages and variation of the data, collected consistently. Even if those issues didn’t exist, theres a big difference between correlation and causation. Correlation doesn’t equal causation. We hunters and anglers are good at creating correlations, especially because we tend to only accept info that supports our theories and ignore contradictory info. We aren’t good a determining causation, which usually involves a formal experiment with treatments and controls. Knowing these things and being trained to conduct experiments, with peer review, is what separates scientists from the rest of us. That, plus a healthy dose of skepticism.

Be well!

Skeptical I am,

One thing I’ve noticed for many years, you can have big or many but not both. Both only occurs in Alberta when multiple years of winterkill remove enough fish to finally allow the new stocking to grow providing there are enough bugs left.
If you look at the stocking numbers previously posted you must come to the realization that our trained govt professionals took a number of years to finally come to the same conclusion.
However, that still begs the question of reducing or eliminating food resources through stocking which is evident in lake after lake. This evidence would be difficult to acquire utilizing years of research. I recall doing a bug count on Stauffer Creek trying to figure out why trout populations were dropping. A complete waste of time. Professionals discounted the numbers although I used the same technique they utilized.
Am I gonna do the research, nope. I’m 75, I’m tired.

Watching the Alberta fishery slide into abyss is kinda tough.

Finally got a theme song for Alberta fishery.

“ And another one bites the Dust”.

Still shovelling - sometimes even snow.

Don