Thread: Finally
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2020, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Long story about the stalk , 6 hrs to be exact..39 in the herd were feeding down the edge of a stubble field nezt to the trees. I tried to get around them but couldn't and when i caught up to them they were bedded in the open . I settled back into the tees on a logpile to wait them out and see what would happen. An hr into the wait a few got up and fed back into the trees around me ..slowly the herd got up and went past at distances of 10 ft to 40 yds , bull got to 60 yds..29 made it past until they hit my wind then ran back past me and rebedded in the field ..i was frustrated to say the least but with elk atill within 80 yds i stayed put ..4hrs I sat there and finally i could here more elk to my right but still out of sight .. now 6:15 pm and this new bunch start passing to right to left in the field at 98 yds ,and im hoping maybe something will swing close enough to the trees for a shot .There are over 100 in this herd and the next couple bunches are closer,76 yds and now some at 40 including the bull ive been watching all afternoon .He is slightly further and as i get ready to draw i catch movement to my right.. a cow and a calf at about 20 ft !!
Great !! Its over i thought ,but she looks briefly at me and heads out to the field . By now 60 + have filed by and as the bull clears the screen of trees in front of me i draw and hold for 45 yds and release ..my arrow hits him perfect and passes thru ..he takes off in a death run thru all those cows and they scatter and watch him hit the fence and crash 150yds away ... I am exhausted and slowly make my way back to the truck . After a quick supper we retrieve him and dress and hang him ...cant say enough about the little slicktrick 100 gr broadheads, clipped a rib going in and passed thru with only a 55# bow ....35 years in the making and well worth the wait

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Thank you very much for the story I really appreciate hearing about other peoples firsts! I have never tagged an elk myself although being close many times I really look forward to the day and this is some more awesome motivation.

Also some of my hunting partners just got some slick tricks and is excited to use them. Do you mind me asking if you used a fixed blade or a mechanical broadheads?