View Single Post
Old 08-25-2015, 01:18 PM

Read this whole thread and the parallel I came up with was docks in a lake. We have a cabin in Sk and put our dock and lifts in every spring and out every fall. Once they are in the water they are on public property. Technically, anyone can use them if they want to. There is nothing I can do about it, other than hope they don't wreck something. The vast majority of folks are respectful and don't use something that isn't theirs just because they technically can. That said, I have pulled into my boat lift after a day on the water to find my dock covered in other peoples stuff and they wouldn't leave as I'm trying to unload my family and stuff out of my boat onto the dock I bought and put in and out every year. That got a little heated, not that I have any more right to the lake then they do, but I climbed into the water at ice out to install it so I kinda figure I should have the right to use it without having to trip over others.

This treestand on public land thing is pretty much the same. Technically, you probably can use a stand that was left on public land without any legal issues. Respectfully, you should probably give it up to the person who took the time to build it and maintain it.

All this being said, I don't use treestands at all. Tried it and couldn't get used to swaying around in the breeze and sitting in one place for hours on end.

SS