View Single Post
Old 02-24-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
They look good TFNG. I'd be curious to see pictures of them once they are dried. I'm still trying to master a fleshing knife for beaver....lol.
I was embarrassed enough as it was to post those pics. I don't expect the dried pics will be any better. They're pretty slow to dry right now because my shop has been cold.

I spent some time sharpening my beaver knives last night. I hope the next one goes better.

I don't know if you'll be able to see in the pics but I used a set of Japanese water stones to sharpen my knives. 400, 1000, 5000, and 8000 grit. When the knife comes off the 5000 grit it's shaving sharp. When it comes off the 8000 grit it's even sharper still. The 8000 grit polishes the edge to a mirror finish.

I had thinned the blade on my skinner, put a bevel on it then it was polished with compound and a cloth wheel. It was very sharp but it's sharper using the stones.
Hopefully it works better fleshing. I'm kind of sounding like a golfer blaming the clubs but I really do think it's going to help lol.

Last edited by Tfng; 02-24-2016 at 12:56 PM.