View Single Post
Old 02-07-2017, 12:16 AM

Have run the traditional olive drab green, 1436 jon boat in rivers and lakes. It wasn't bad for stability. Standing was not an issue. It took waves with two guys and gear better than I thought as well. Never did tip it, although I tried!

If you're in the market for a jon boat, like I was two years ago - check out Marlon.

Marlon 10 & 12 Jon Boats

I went with the 14 for the thicker hull, and overall size. It's by far the biggest 14ft boat I have seen - it has a 63 inch beam, yet two people can lift it easily. Looking at other brands specifications, Marlon won out by comparison.
Marlon 14 Jon Boat

Since buying it, I put a deck and casting platform at the stern in along with a bottom coating designed for air-boats, called Wetlander since I use it in rocky bottom lakes and rivers. So far it has been a great investment in protecting my boat, reduces friction too.

Regular power is a 20hp Yamaha 4stroke, but it did very well under electric power, as it drafts very little water.

So far, I've had it in 3-4 foot waves and it handled great, did not take on water. Cool thing to add - it's a Canadian company and the boats are built here taking advice for the design from hunters and fishermen.