View Single Post
Old 08-17-2020, 10:18 PM

[QUOTE=Dean2;4215899]Depends entirely on how you plan to hold the bow, shooting style you will use. If you shoot right handed and the bow is perfectly vertical, shelf either side works but unlike modern compound bows the shelfs were traditionally on the right side for right handed shooters. If you shoot with the bow canted, like so many Trad shooters do, shelf needs to be on the correct side to match your cant, especially the further off vertical you get. That is why so many Trad bows appear to be left handed.

I normally agree with Dean but in my experience a right handed shooter will have the shelf on the left side of the riser. Mind you I have never been in battle but his description sounds painfully awkward. I shot left handed (shelf on the right)for years with compounds but had to close my right eye. It worked...sort of. When I switched to traditional bows for a while I taught myself to shoot right handed (shelf on the left) because of the dominant right eye. You need to be looking over the arrow with your dominant eye to shoot "vintage" or trad and is so much easier even with a compound.That's much easier for a right handed/eyed person of the shelf is on the left side of the bow.

Some how I cut Dean's quote in half. Sorry Dean