View Single Post
Old 12-11-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
If they put a bait ban on any of their "world class" walleye fisheries the walleyes would starve to death. All they got to eat is frozen minnows and maybe the odd dew worm or leech laying on the bottom of the community hole. Sad state of affairs to say the least. I've ranted and whined enough about it...another alberta boy who has seen the demise of our quality fisheries over the last 40+ years. The pike situation in sylvan buck and gull is the worst. Nice gene pool with large faster growing pike that kept the place in order. They let us take 3 breeders a day for way too long. I wonder how they explain their logic behind that now that they went to a zero limit. Imagine if those big pike had been protected for this long with a 1 or 2 under 70cm limit for those that want a fish to eat. You would still have all those big girls doing their thing every spring. They aren't gonna stock any pike or perch so it's gonna take forever for these once prolific lakes with a good variety of species to get back on their feet if ever. Brutal.
Well said. I still don't understand why slot sizes like in Calling lake weren't implemented in more lakes. I imagine a few of the now zero catch limit lakes would still be allowing retention of fish with the breeders surviving and reproducing. As said before, I guess there's no money in slot sizes like there is in the draws/tags........Pretty sad.