View Single Post
Old 12-11-2018, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
I guess it all depends on the driver for fishing. Going out to catch and release 18 inch walleye seems pointless to me.

100, 8 inch perch would make a mighty fine fry!

You must have missed the other stuff mentioned about biology, diversity, winter kills, proximity, quality over quantity... all things that dont seem to enter the minds of the guys with the ban hammer. They only look at catch rate like yourself, so understandable why you'd be happy catching 18 inch walleye.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
The other "stuff" wasn't missed by me, I'm happiest catching a variety species in a variety of age classes. I also don't mind taking a fish home for the frying pan every now and then. I'm an avid angler just like the rest of you. One difference however, I'm realistic.

Perhaps what is misunderstood by yourself and most others is the single fact that Alberta currently does not have the water bodies nor the population of fish within them to allow sustainable harvest of any game fish species under general possession limits with the number of licensed anglers that currently exist. There are likely only 2 things that could possibly change that, an extensive stocking program for all game fish species, combined with extensive regulation enforcement. But there is little chance either of those are going to happen with the economical pressures in this Province that we are likely to be faced with for the foreseeable future.

No argument from me the fisheries biologists have certainly contributed to the current state of our fisheries, however its your brother, your dad, your uncle, your grandfather, the fellow anglers on this forum, yourself, I, and any other angler in this province past/present whom have impacted the fishery the most and are where the fingers should be pointed at.

Times have changed and the times of keeping 5 of that, 10 of this, 30 of those are long gone and aren't coming back anytime soon.

Restating keep limits because you feel "entitled" to it, or bitch'n that the "biologist" don't have a clue, or eliminating the draw system "because it is just a money grab", ain't going to solve squat and quite frankly is the exact mindset that has gotten us to where we are.

Thus to my original point, I'd rather catch and not keep, then not catch or keep. Have draws for those whom like to take a meal home every now and then. That's reality.