View Single Post
Old 12-11-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
It's not about bonking fish, it's about balanced fisheries and diversity. If you protect walleye in a lake they are an apex predator. They are fishing 365 days a year eating everything in the lake that they can fit in their mouth. As many fish as we ever caught we never could have fished the lake out of perch in a lifetime. What we could not achieve in a lifetime the walleye have collapsed in 15 years of protection. It was really interesting to watch a lake change over time and population dynamics flux with the simple shutdown of the walleye fishery. Mid way it was looking pretty great... we have long since past that point.

I think the number of waters and sportfisherman is an excuse! Government will always blame us. I used to actually see way more people fishing back in the day when there were limits. Now hardly see anyone fishing on the lakes. Natives are still netting these lakes. The oil industry continues to deplete the ground water and lake levels in areas across the province have suffered significant drop in water levels. Winterkill/ summer kill, blue green algae, nutrient loading from surrounding cattle and grain farms.

You pointing the finger at me is kind of funny given haven't lived in Alberta for 15 years and I haven't kept a fish from the lake I mentioned in years. There are lots of fish in Alberta and super easy to catch... they're just all small starving walleye.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
X3