View Single Post
Old 11-18-2018, 06:46 PM

Truck bans in the left lane have been in effect for as long as I can remember on parts of many Interstates and work just fine, provided that we are talking 6-lane divided and not 4-lane divided.

Also, all jurisdictions where I've seen this actually enforce the "Keep Right Except to Pass" rule for all traffic (not the silly "Slower Traffic" rule which is meaningless). Imagine trying having to deal with some QE2 bozo doing 105 kph beside a truck doing 106 kph without access to the third lane. (Oh wait. You don't have to imagine it. Just travel any part of QE2 that's still 4-lane-divided on any given day and time).

I drove for years for a company that suspended anyone caught not driving in the right lane, except to exit, pass or allow merging traffic. There is a certain comfort level that goes with watching traffic on one side instead of both. To this day, I follow that rule even in the four-wheeler, often passing slower center lane traffic (also not legal in many other places).

As for B.C. and especially the Coq, a big problem arises in the winter when lighter trucks try to pass slower or spun-out ones, then spin-out in a passing lane. Once all 3 lanes are blocked, the road is effectively closed. Nobody wants to stop while climbing a hill like "the Smasher" because you might not have the traction to get started again. But common sense should dictate that trying the third lane might not be the smartest move either. Too bad common sense in less common these days, so I can see why B.C. would be considering this move.

A couple of other comments: 1) As a "lapsed" -- but still licensed and occasionally active -- professional driver, I think a lot of the pride and professionalism has been diminished in the industry since I entered it 40 years ago. Given the current rates/wages and demands of the job, I guess it's not a surprise. But there's still a lot of real pros out there you hardly ever notice. 2) For each extended length double some people want to ban, you would add one more full tractor trailer to the current traffic pattern. That's a lot more trucks and drivers! 3) Eliminate trucks on weekends? Hahaha. (It was a joke, right)? Any idea how much road tax this industry pays through registration and fuel tax? Didn't think so. Any idea how much stuff gets shipped on Fridays? Like going to the store and buying what you want when you want it? Can you think of anything you own that did not travel by truck? [Edit: one more] Do you think truckers like mixing with "tourists" on long weekends? Hardly. But it's part of the job.

Last edited by Fifth Wheel; 11-18-2018 at 06:51 PM.