View Single Post
Old 11-11-2017, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denied access View Post
Firstly congrats on getting the head back. Its obviously the only part of the deer that you cared about.

Here is what is wrong with this whole situation

Everyone seems to be crowing about what bad sportsman people are who said they would keep the head. Not many seem appalled by the fact that you took a sub par shot at a glorious animal on the off chance you could hit it and hang it on the wall so you could then brag to all your friends about your hunting prowess. You then give some lame story about a whole crew looking for the deer for a week. A week? Really? No magpies or crows? Or smell? In September? You wasted the deer, and you screwed everyone else who was after the same buck out of a chance to take it ethically. But at least you got your head. Heck, saved packing out the meat so in the long run your probably the winner.

I usually try to stay out of these arguments but all the people backslapping you for what seem to me poor ethics and backhanding those who figure finders keepers is sickening.

Congrats on the head. I hope the taxidermist has a cape to sell you so you can make it a complete package. Hopefully every time you look at it you think about passing up a shot instead of gut shooting and abandoning an animal.
Normally I would never reply to a hateful negative comment like yours for the following reasons;
1: I realize that no one ever wins in an online "debate"
2: I realize that there will always be petty losers out there who are forever looking for a chance to **** on someone else's parade.
3: I realize that you're probably not a bad guy, your just insecure from a lifetime of childhood abuse or trauma and you can no longer be a bully on the schoolyard so you hide behind the anonymity of a public web platform and spew your jealousy and lack of personal contentment at the rest of the world.

If you would have just called me short, fat, and ugly, I wouldn't have said anything. I'm 5'9", 165 lbs, and I have the nose of King Kong and the Jawline of Harland Williams, so I would have just moved on. However, you accused me of lying and of being unethical in both my shot attempt and recovery efforts. Although I don't need to vindicate myself to the likes of you, I will briefly address your accusations. I will then move on with my life, with my 221" mule deer on my wall, and I'll never think of you or this thread again.

The shot was 59 yards exactly, on a quartering away deer, with very little wind. I typically practice at this range and much further and normally feel very confident in my ability. I will admit that buck fever got to me, and due to either a rushed shot process or inability to completely control my shakes, I hit the deer farther back then I would have liked, and instead of pushing him, I decided my best chance of recovering him would be in the morning with a group of friends. I knew the shot was lethal and that if he wasn't bumped he would likely go to the bottom of the hill and bed down.
As far as my recovery efforts go, I won't even go into detail about the collective effort by not only me but my friends and family as well, who selflessly gave of their own hunting time to try help me recover this deer. I will say that when I finally did find the deer I was on KM 76 since I had started looking. (I track every step using gps) I also know that at least one of my friends was over 50 kms on his boots as well. The entrance hole must have become plugged and there was no exit hole, so we only ever found one drop of blood. So we were simply grid searching every square inch of that property, in every bush patch and gully, until I did finally stumble onto him.

I give every effort to recover every animal I shoot at. The meat is one of the greatest rewards of a successful hunt. And after the first day I knew the meat would no longer be good, but I also knew that the buck was dead somewhere. So I was not about to stop looking until I found him. I even went down the river for several miles, thinking that he may have fallen in and hung up somewhere downstream.

So in closing. I hope you have a wonderful life and maybe someday you can find professional help and won't be such an insecure, hateful, bottom-feeding, joy crusher. Who knows, maybe someday you'll even experience the capacity to feel joy. My advice would be, until that happens, do yourself and everyone else a favor and leave your pathetic, assuming, mudslinging BS off the web. Delete your account, and go away.

Sincerely,
Jeff

P.S. Another heartfelt thanks to the gentleman who gave me the deer, and my friends who helped me look. Also to everyone on here who had positive things to say, or shared their opinion in a constructive manner. There are truly great people in this hunting community and I would be honored to share a campfire with many of you. Good luck and God bless!