View Single Post
Old 12-22-2010, 12:58 PM

I am all for "balanced numbers" of lakes for catch and kill vs. quality/trophy/catch and release. Let see...there is less than 20 special regulation lakes in all of Alberta and hundreds of lakes where you can kill fish for the table. Therefore to balance things out we need to increase the number of special regulation lakes by a significant number.
As far as food in the Kananaskis lakes, there is large population of Mysis shrimp that are consumed by both the Bull and rainbow trout. Additionally there is a pretty good sucker population that adds small fish to the system every year.

Cutthroat trout were added to the Upper lake to return the fish population to a more natural state. This has been the plan for many areas across North America. It seems some feel they would rather have Rainbows than Cutthroats in the Upper lake. Can someone tell me why they don't like the Cutthroats? In my experience they are easier to catch (and therefore should be easier to get in the freezer).
I like the idea of a lake with really big fish within a couple of hours of home. Then I don't have to drive to BC to catch some quality fish. I pay for my license every year and would love to catch rainbows that are more than 12".
I have had the opportunity to catch fish over 25" in Kananaskis and it is a blast. The chance to catch them more frequently would be awesome.