View Single Post
Old 05-28-2017, 07:23 PM

Yes, the top favs that were in my cabinet was the 22 rf, 6mm/243, 308, 270 replaced by the 300 Win & Weather, 338 win and a short duration 375 H&H.

I'm not really sure how my 30/06 got sold off, but it must of had something too do with cash. Ha.

My noodle was pretty busy this winter planning which rifle had too go, and who remained.

My mind told me too stay large, my body said go small.
My old 308 could of remained, but we never got the chance too become real good friends. It was one of those Remmy Tac models with mid weight barrels.
Good shooter as I bought it new,,, but the synthetic stock did not look right in my eyes.

My Remmy 300 Weatherby and 270 win both had beautiful wood grain stocks, they were my go too units,,, the 300 was my flag ship.

So too prevent any hard ships between the rifles I decided to clean house.
Except for the 22 rim and 12 gudage,,, then a very good friend let me try his Savage Mark II plinker as it is now my new unit as of last month... We traded 22 Rimfires more or less.

The 30/06 idea came about when another friend was cleaning out his cabinet last year,,, my mind went into double over time trying too fit it in between all the rifles I had.

Basically it put me in a tricky area between the 308 win and the 300 maggy.
The only thing that set this return too 30/06 into play was that laminated wood stock.
The caliber as well.

This meant that the cabinet needed a fresh start, and too become a cabinet of less.

I will loose in some areas of what the other rifles will do, but I'm sure if I put in the time and a small fraction of funds that I can get the unit up too speed.

I've done it before, so I'll do it again.
This will test my middle age skills too dial in a sporter Harvesting rifle in the mid budget line-up,,, rifle and optics that is.

I'm guessing that other folks run into change when change comes, it's not easy too do this either as it consumes our thoughts if we should even think of this path.

Had someone asked me 5 years ago if I would consider 1 target & Game rifle for my all,,, I'd a said no way man,,, it ain't going to happen...

Here I am today on that path. I know now that my 1 & 1/2 year plan is working out.

"I" will make it work since it has too, no going back now that it's the only unit in my arsenal too choose from.

Yes, I still get the strange feeling that I might be missing out on the other units, but I'll get over this once the rifle and I test our worth at the range of distance in all kinds of weather.

Don