View Single Post
Old 09-29-2017, 07:06 AM

The shelter pods with in !!!

Old Timer and I left 4 shelters on the fringes of the block, that way we have some where to end up if it works out.

Yes that we have 2 hard shell camps and support units with in reach,,, but they are there if things turn real nasty.

The best thing going for these pods is air tight wood burning heater / stoves,,, these are the best tools going.

Instant heat to warm-up, a source of security and freedom,,, the best part is the capability to dry stuff.
Again, they are there if needed.

If we move zone, we can move 1 of the 2 units easy, kinda like the front line foot ball shuffle as the line moves.
Hopefully this Elk pod stays put, or doesn't swing to wide out side the zone. LOL. Purhaps the All Weather Suit will allow for this game changer.

I never forget the old trip from 4@!!,,, it was 8 days of a 10 day-er with weather that hammered us hard.

Wet gear, ice crystals hanging off of us, and frozen boots turned up like clown shoes.
We failed to plan and our plan failed... Nothing like not planning. Ha.

We let our selves down big time on that outting, that was the year the all weather idea come up. Trekking the mountains made it hard since the snow was deep that year and packing to much gear slowed us down to a crawl.

The conditions were so bad that the thoughts of harvesting a critter was a long distance after thought.
We laugh about this today, but it remains fresh in our minds how mother nature has the final say of who is the boss.

So we plan wizer, shrunk the zones, plotted the ever changing plan, and most of all,,, slow down and relax.

This year I kinda have to force my self to get at it,,, must be due to the age thing, but when I get my boots on the ground and I visit to shelter pods... I know we did it right,,, no Hilton Hotels,,, but not the hole in the wall like them old days.

Reporting truck cab hard knocks as I depart into the bliss of darkness.

Don