View Single Post
Old 11-02-2017, 09:19 PM

The discovery from Wayne.

He came across a downed Moose out west his first reaction was the Wolves got her since they trampled the snow pack all around.

He tracked back into the to find the battle grounds where it first started,,, something didn't seem right as there was a long wide drag trail in the snow. It was there that he realized that a Grizzly jumped it.
This Cow might of been ill or wonded and not able to fend off the attack.

She made it close to the edges of the clearing. Once she expired the Grizzly drug her back into the trees as far as it could he's thinking
Purhaps to bury it under the log pile close by.

The Grizzly ate what it wanted and probably left for the time been.
The packs are thick in these areas, they could of picked up on the sent and moved in on it.

Wayne said later that he was pretty sure the Gizz got it down, the Wolves came along latter.
Some folks that would of come across this might of thought the Wolves took it down from looking at the feeding grounds much like he thought.

Lucky thing is that my friend has keen eyes of trying to peace together what is what as he could of missed out on the clues left behind.

This is what he said at the end of his story...

Sometimes Wolves get blamed for the kills in many cases,,, this happens because of the massive amounts of tracks at these kill sights,,, with out tracking back or around even I can miss out on other predators that "could" of been the original contributer to the take down,,, then maybe the Wolves came along later.
Don't know as I wasn't there.

This makes me wonder how many Deer, sheep, younger calves of Elk and Moose fall prey to Cougars.
It's been said that Cats "normally eat fresh kills only."

I wonder how many fall prey to these big cats since the forests are full of them.

I believe that all predator hang a licking on hooved animals,,, I get wondering my self now what predator it was that really did the kill before others come along for the feast.

Don