View Single Post
Old 07-23-2009, 12:31 PM
troller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270WIN View Post
. I wonder if I will have to deal with this issue in 2011 when I apply to renew my PAL again.
Any information anyone can provide would be appreciated.
I am afraid you will have to declare one way or the other

"Permitted Purposes For Owning A Restricted Firearm

There are a few purposes for which you can be licensed to acquire and/or possess a restricted firearm, the most common being target practice or target shooting competitions, or as part of a collection.

In limited circumstances, restricted firearms are also allowed for use in connection with your lawful profession or occupation, or to protect life.

Exception: If you have a firearm that is registered to you as a relic under the former legislation, you may continue to possess it for that purpose. However, you cannot pass that designation on to the next owner. The next owner can acquire the firearm only for one of the purposes referred to above.

As set out in the Firearms Act, a relic firearm is one that is of value as a curiosity or rarity, or that is valued as a memento, remembrance or souvenir.

Top of Page
Criteria For Each Purpose

Depending on which purpose you select, there are some specific criteria you have to meet, as follows.
Target Shooting Practice and Competition

To be authorized to have restricted firearms for target shooting purposes, you must provide proof that you practice or compete at an approved shooting club or range.

For more information about approved shooting clubs and ranges, contact your provincial CFO by calling 1 800 731-4000.
Collectors of Restricted Firearms

OR

To be authorized to have restricted firearms as part of a collection, you must:

* Know the historical, technical or scientific features of such firearms in your collection
* Consent to occasional inspections of the place where your collection is stored
* Comply with regulations dealing with safe storage, record-keeping and other matters related to restricted firearms

Employment Purposes and Protection of Life

In limited circumstances, an individual may be authorized to possess and/or acquire a restricted firearm for employment purposes or for protection of a life."

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/restr-eng.htm

I went through the same as others here last year with my renewal. I have heard that they do inspect collectors but that is just hear say, no personal experience there.