Thread: The PCR Dilemma
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
Oh yes I'm serious. The data show there is natural spawning but it is so minor that there is no way the fishery can sustain itself. The growth of the walleye has virtually stop and spawn in is almost non existent. That is the data and combine that with common sense and you have a fishery in trouble.
I really don't know what else I can say, I think you missed my point entirely.

The fact is, the stocking of PCR was incredibly successful. The survival rate amongst the stocked walleye was obviously very high. The lake has since reached it's current max. carrying capacity, so survival of young of the year or additional stocked walleye would be expected to be very low. Others have commented on the recruitment success, reasons for it, and the validity of the seine results, I don't think I need to rehash it. The point is a simple one, the initial success and the current population bodes well for the lake's ability to replenish itself in the future.

I don't perceive the slowing of growth of the population as a problem, it's a natural reaction to the conditions in the lake. Again, not every fishery needs to be managed as a trophy fishery.

You've commented a lot about the perceived problems at PCR, but I'd love to know what specifically you would do solve those "problems".