View Single Post
Old 10-06-2016, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortsideK View Post
Drag... Schmag
Everyone gets so wrapped up in drag systems. The components; the design; the adjustment; the smoothness.
It just gives us something to talk about.
It would be interesting to know just how often we honestly believe that the drag system saved the day playing/landing a trout. Not very.
I think for vast majority of trout fishermen, there is no need for any adjustable drag system. >90% of the fish we catch never get on the reel and the ones that we do manage to get on the reel aren't big enough to need any kind of drag system.
Once in awhile we play around with the drag, but always end up setting it near minimum and leave it there indefinitely.
Maybe I'm doing something wrong (I am new at this) but when I was out there and hooked into the biggest rainbow of my life. The reel would just sit there as the fish ran. Then all of a sudden the reel would scream so fast my line would fly off and almost get tangled in the spool. When the fish caught up to the slack in the line he flew out of the water and threw the hook. All of this happened without a handful of seconds and I believe that it would have been avoided if I had a reel with a half decent drag.

The same fish seemed to have temporarily "burnt" out my bearings (if that's even possible) because I had next to zero resistance when stripping line off after that. But when I got home and was going to put the line on my old reel if felt normal again.

I am a sucker for new and fancy but I won't be spending hundreds on a replacement. I was just curious what people would recommend.