View Single Post
Old 10-06-2016, 07:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scel View Post
I agree with you unless you fish the Bow River with any regularity. Since the floods, there is a new paradigm of monstrous rainbows. Over 20% of the fish I catch regularly take significant amounts of line with a handful every year taking me to my backing. I have caught 6 or so fish this year over 18" on size 18 hooks. It is hard enough getting 5x through the eyelet. After I broke off a few, I realized it was time to let the reel do its job.

So yeah, unless you fish the Bow River or are setting up an 8wt for saltwater/steelhead/salmon, drag is not worthy of attention.
I'm envious of you.

I've not had the privilege of fishing the Bow River yet and wrestling with big boy trout in current.
I have caught several 18"+ bows on small flies in lakes and only once had one go to the backing (and only just). Have never had the need to have my drag set to more than just more than minimum, just palming when necessary. Great fun!
I'm of the opinion that any break-offs that I've had were the result of poorly tied knots or a nicked tippet rather than my reels drag or lack thereof.