View Single Post
Old 05-10-2023, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Turns out my wife can probably draw a whitetail tag over in Saskatchewan every year, and she can hunt on the family farm. We want to get our daughter into it and let her see the whole process, to make the connection from deer standing in a field to deer steak on the plate. They both like eating deer more than looking at them, so we won’t be worried about antlers.

Wife has hunted birds and shoots well, but would be new to big game. Archery is too much time commitment with the little one and one on the way, late November rifle is too cold and close to due date this year. So that leaves us with October muzzleloader (or string gun, but she’s more familiar and confident with firearms). Probably hunting from a blind or stand but spot and stalk is a possibility. It may end up waiting till next year depending on how things go, but it seems like a good idea to pursue.

I know exactly zero about muzzleloaders because it’s not a thing here. I want a simple, reliable, low recoil, point and shoot deer inside 100 (150?) yards gun. How does one go about setting that up? What problems do I need to watch for? Where do I start with loads? Scope or no scope?
What zone and what are the stats for being drawn? I hunt Sask too and one year I did not get drawn so not always a sure fire bet.
As for muzzle loader I have never used one so I cannot help there.
WDF