View Single Post
Old 02-10-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
The focus on this thread seems to remain confined to horn size and hunter management. Other management tools regarding a healthy populaton of sheep including mature rams have been mentioned , but not discussed.

We all seem to accept that predation and habitat are important factors relating to sheep survival. It is well documented that sheep populations are most vigorous (high birth rates and large horned rams) when the herd has good winter range and is not overly stressed with predation.

There seems to be a reduction in wintering ground quality and size in many areas, often due to forest encroachment, resulting in less forage and higher predation rates. Habitat managment takes time to produce results, but is proven to increase herd vitality. Predators ( wolves cougars and bears), are increasing rapidly in Alberta, and are having a significant impact on ungulates, including sheep. Predation can be reduced very quickly, but our govt. has become scared of wolves (more accurately wolf advocates).

The govt. realizes that at present it is easier and less expensive to manage people than habitat and animals. The discussion here is becoming focused on the same thing.

I suggest we spend some of our time on this thread talking about other avenues to reach our desired goal, more sheep and larger, mature rams.
Excuse my ignorance but I was wondering if their are any charities focused on bighorn sheep(like Ducks Unlimited is for ducks)?