View Single Post
Old 12-11-2007, 08:19 PM
jrs

I have caught the vast majority of mine in 10-12 feet, not necessarily near the bottom though. They may cruise a foot below the ice, i generally go 12 feet of water and fish 2-2.5 feet from the bottom (if water is clear, murky water can make it difficult as them seeing the lure and cruising up to investigate results in most hits). If I'm using both rods i set up the wireworms on one and the hares ear on the other, rarely jigging the wireworms as sometimes a stationary hook seems to work better.

The one thing i recommend is limit your catch and release fishing for whites, recovery can be poor and the numbers of fish in the southern reservoirs is ridiculous, if your looking to keep a limit and fill the freezer that's the species to go with. Once you got ten you can keep going for them but I'd recommend starting to look for a few pike and burbot as they are much better candidates for release. Just some experience there, won't hurt the population any in the big lakes but you will see them stuck to the bottom of the ice come spring.