View Single Post
Old 12-11-2007, 09:09 PM
jrs

"How do you find them? Do you have to move around to locate them or do you just sit in one spot for an hour and wait for them? Do they travel in schools like perch and you can keep dropping bait to them and keep catching them?"

I found them over time by drilling lots of holes. I'd fish a set of holes 30-45minutes then try another spot (i normally drill a ton of extra holes to go back and forth between), once you catch one its a good bet you'll get a few. In the reservoirs some schools seem to have thousands of fish. If a spot is good one time it will normally be good in the future as well ( i return to same spots in the summer as well). Underwater camera could be useful, i haven't gone for whites with mine yet. If you catch one whitefish definitely try to get the hook back in quickly.
A favorite whitefish spot is almost always along the dam on the reservoirs, they cruise up and down along the shores feeding, always a good spot to start.
The schools of perch at Sherburn can be huge, i took my camera there a few times, wow!!, could see 10-15 at a time then they'd disappear for hours and you'd only see the odd one or a walleye cruise by, then they'd show up again.

Last edited by jrs; 12-11-2007 at 09:13 PM. Reason: wording