View Single Post
Old 09-05-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin View Post
The last few years of my life I have forced myself to ask the question, is this a time to learn or a time to teach? Even an old seasoned alcoholic will look upon his junior peers as just drunks. I think in my time I have been surprised and enlightened to learn something from a new experience. Bessiedog's old 6wt will catch way more fish than the 1000 dollar rigs you see that only get used once every 2-3 years. Why is that? Bessiedog goes out fishing and makes time for his passion. That in my guess and his posts involve himself, and often his family. Who is anyone to look down his nose to see a person out pursuing his passion? Sometimes the new person doesn't need any guidance, he may need to be asked to help the seasoned fisherman out. That may be his chance to emphasize his beliefs. In my belief, you have to make time for whatever puts a grin on your face. As well as giving back, it is selfish to not impart experience and help those who need it. It sometimes involves not helping them and letting that person learn his experiences on his own. My ranching profession has taught me that it is way easier to chase a cow from the front. That means, let her follow a chop pail to a new pasture. When you get behind them and get to hollering and whistling, she usually just picks up her tail and buggers off. Let her get a little hungry and she will follow you wherever you want her to go with a little reward at the end. But sometimes, you have to know when to 'give her a kick in the butt'. Those times are harder to know or understand.
Well thought out and said... as a shot @ those on the fly fishing pedestal of elitism ... I know of a # of kids including myself in the day who learned to fly fish with a spinning rod off the rack at Woolco and Mitchel 300 spin reel with Sears $1.49 day 10lb test bulk line with hand tied mosquito patterns and Abu Garcia fly dope. Some of these kids caught upwards of 300 fish a year in the Bow below Wildwood in Calgary, and if the fish wern't jump'n then a split shot above and a maggot on the fly below caught fish. That Mitchel on those old 10' plus cheap bamboo fly rods in the day worked magic as well.