View Single Post
Old 04-06-2020, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyOneStyle View Post
Years ago, when I was new to fly fishing, I was visiting family in northern BC. I went to Tchesinkut lake out of convenience to fish from shore for a few hours. It wasn't going well, I had misread the wind, I wasn't very good to begin with and really had no idea what presentation to use.
Then a guy appeared just down shore from me. He opened the bale and fired a lure out into the surf. BANG! He was winching in a beautiful 20" rainbow. Then on his second cast; BANG again. I believe it only took him six casts to reach his limit of five.
I was jealous, too jealous to talk to this guy. My dad was laughing fairly persistently and went over to the guy. They talked, the guy gave him a rainbow, then tossed his lure in and BANG again.
Apparently that guy fly fished that same spot I was in on a calm day, but if it got choppy a Crocodile was the only way to go.
We got to eat a delicious Lakes Country rainbow and I learned that I should be prepared to use every arrow in my quiver.

-Will

I know that lake well and actually lived a 20min away from it. There is tricks to that lake for both gear and fly fishing. If you know where to go and what to use according to the conditions gear or fly doesn’t matter unless it’s Lakers. I actually used to catch Lakers on my fly rod near the island. There is way better things to use than a croc in that lake

Personally I use both gear and fly there is definitely times one out shines the other. But in my opinion most fishermen handicap them self through limiting their techniques no matter if it’s fly or gear fishing

If your fishing in the bulky valley again there is way better places to fish. Also don’t get two caught up with what most of the locals use they think an apex or T50 are the best things for everywhere