View Single Post
Old 04-06-2020, 09:27 AM

Almost 40 years ago, I took a one-day 'Learn to Flyfish' course from Country Pleasures Fly Shop in Calgary. I had never held a fly-rod before that. At the end of that day, I bought their 'beginners package' with a cheap Browning rod and Pfleuger reel, and that started my addiction! Some people golf, some spend all their money at the bar, I spend it on my fly-fishing. Fly tying, rod building, fishing destination vacations - the works. But I'm still happy to take a spinning rod out for a troll, chase salmon on my beautiful mooching rod, or drag halibut off the bottom with my trust 'pool cue' and Penn reel - especially if there's kids involved. I find it interesting that although I've never had an adult ask me to teach them how to spin-fish, I've had plenty of adult friends and aquaintances ask me to teach them how to fly fish, and have been responsible for starting more than few addictions. The guys I fish with don't seem to look down on gear-guys, or up to fly-guys. Some of us prefer Chevs, some Fords. I see the odd elitist in both camps out there - usually younger, competitive guys with something to prove, but we older farts are generally past that, and just enjoy seeing others enjoy themselves.