View Single Post
Old 09-13-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
You said it would have zero affect on kids. I'm saying I completely disagree with that. I don't disagree with a lot that you're saying, but to say zero affect just isn't right. I also disagree with your statement about kids. Some would certainly have other idols, MANY would have been Oilers. Just like many in Calgary are Flames, just as many in Winnipeg were Jets - many, many more now.

My kids get visits from the Red Deer Rebels in their school. Guess who their sports idols are? Not anyone from the Moose Jaw Warriors.
Fair enough, but you missed my point. Kid's are always influenced on who to idolize by parents/teachers/peers/etc, they don't care if there idols are "local".

For example, If I watched oiler's games, cheered for the oilers, and had oiler's paraphernalia everywhere in my house, chances are very good, my kid's will cheer for them and usually become lifelong idols, yes, even if I live in Calgary. Trust me, I've seen it time and time again. Does having a local team help, IMHE kid's don't care. I have relatives that travel 6 hours to watch an oilers game,.. But don't think the kids won't just find another idol if the local team disappears, it's parents that will struggle.