View Single Post
Old 08-10-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck 7 View Post
How do you like it? I was considering a Magneto Speed but think a Labradar would be the better investment for my LR rifle and reloading data.

I’m pretty set one buying one soon, just my main question is, are there different makes and models? And where around Edmonton can you buy one? Rather do it in person then ordering one online.
I've had 2 MagnetoSpeed units. Very good for what they are and very accurate. Lots of people b1tch about how it changes the poi when it's on the barrel. Yeah....I suppose. Although, I never shot groups with it on. It had one purpose....to measure the speed of the load I just developed.

But one day I was in a hurry and didn't have the proper spacers on, and I ended up shooting the damn blade. I bought a second unit. And....just sold both units. But I love them.

But I replaced it with a LabRadar. There's only one model. I like it so far. I've used it to measure speeds on all of my loads. It's not light sensitive. Sets up pretty easy (I have the base plate and two different tripod set-ups). It is also very accurate with all of my loads. The menu is a bit quirky and takes some time to get used to. Although it is pretty intuitive. I have not exported the data yet, so I can't comment on that. But it is interesting watching how temperature, humidity, and absolute pressure change the speeds of projectiles.

My advice is....buy an external high capacity L-ion battery pack. These things eat AA batteries very quickly. The battery pack I use has only been discharged to half after 6 hours of continuous use. (It also has a power saving shut-off function.) Make sure you enter the projectile weight for every different bullet. I found this out the hard way (I forgot to change it). And an entire string of 20 shots was wasted.

You can probably make your own base plate for cheaper than $60. And using a tripod will get you the height you need if you're shooting from a bench. The special carrying case is pretty (and expensive), but I use a padded laptop bag. It fits the unit and battery pack perfectly.

So, all in all, I would recommend one. Although, I really like the MagnetoSpeed units (and I like the price of them better than the LabRadar). And my unit is new, so the firmware is up to date.

I don't believe anyone in Edmonton sells these. I got mine from Omer at Precision Optics in B.C..

Last edited by 6MT; 08-10-2018 at 04:37 PM.