View Single Post
Old 11-08-2008, 01:20 PM

Wow, I haven't heard this discussion for aprox. 3 hrs. Not a new conversation and can be debated forever. If this is your first rifle get something that isn't going to cause you to flinch. With that being said use a large enough caliber to kill quickly and as humanely as possible. Next and probably the most important rule of hunting is "Sight in your gun shoot it alot and know that when you put the cross hairs on an animal 99% of the time you will hit your target. I would say if you want to hunt this year you are to late to know your new rifle that well. Next lookup the animal you will be hunting and understand when it is broadside or quarteing away from you or towards you that you know where to aim to kill. This is probably the #1 factor with hunters wounding animals and having to track them for miles or giving up and not bringing home what they shot. That drives me nuts and puts a blemish in hunting in general and in the eyes of bleeding heart Liberals.
My experience so far is I own alot of rifles and have shot alot of rifles but my first rifle was a .270 winchester, still have it and have hunted with it for 22 years and have killed everything I have shot at. I'm not bragging just my experience. It knocks the crap out of deer bear and moose from 50 yrds to 300 yrds without ever having to chamber a second round. Recoil is minimal and if I was to put my life on the line I would reach for my .270 because I know that rifle the best.
Sorry for the long thread "Just my 2 cents" well maybe 4 cents, lol.
Good luck and Good hunting