Thread: Worldviews
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
A challenge for those of the Christian faith (I am not presuming that there are not followers of other faiths on this board).

There are a number of Messianic prophecies outlined in the OT that Jesus did not fulfill.

They include:
  • world peace did not come at the time of Jesus (Isaiah 2:1-4)
  • the entire world did not acknowledge G-d as the one true G-d (Zechariah 14:9)
  • the Holy Temple was not rebuilt (Ezekiel 37: 26-28)
  • and Jesus did not gather the Jewish people from all of the earth to land of Israel (Isaiah 11:10-12).

There's' a bunch more, but these are a good example.
Simple answer: 'cause we ain't done yet!

The long answer is a lot more complicated, and requires a broad understanding of 'prophecy'. Some prophecies have a 'partially fulfilled' component to them. Rest assured that when Jesus returns they will all be fulfilled.

Isaiah 2:1-4 is not saying "When Jesus (the Messiah) comes, then ..." It says, "In the last days ..." Big difference. We are, in the times between Jesus human birth and His return, living in the "last days" when the prophecy is coming to fulfilment.

Zechariah 14:9 - same thing - note the future tense, "will be" - means it's coming. In one sense Jesus, "the Lord" is already King over all the earth.
Oh, oh, that answers a previous question you asked that I didn't bother answering - about theocracy. Yup, I believe we live in a theocracy where Jesus is King - absolutely, and our governments / rulers are under His authority ----- they just don't know it yet! They will, as will everybody - atheists and agnostics included - when he returns as "King of kings and Lord of lords" (Revelation 19:16).

Ezekiel 37:26-28 - don't forget the dangers of extrapolating select verses out of broader context and future tense! Not talking about 'temple' - rather, talking about 'the new covenant', terms (using NIV translation) "sanctuary", "dwelling place" are not referring directly to a physical 'temple' built of building construction materials like wood and stone and such.
NT clarity - the 'temple' is the people of God, the 'body' of Christ - see 1 Peter 2:4-10. This 'temple' is being built right now and will be 'complete' when Jesus returns.

Isaiah 11:10-12 - is this not happening? It is in process.

Note: I'm not going to answer every question and respond to every comment. That would take more than a lifetime. And you'd still have more questions and comments anyway. I'm not sure why you persist in this strategy of 'debate' - is it to try to 'poke' holes' in the Bible and thus in believers' faith? Or is it honestly a search for understanding? If the former I'm done with you. If it's the latter, I may continue.

The Bible must be taken as a whole, it tells one story and all the parts reinforce and sufficiently 'interpret' the other parts to sustain the revelation of God and thus faith in Him.

Does it give every answer to every question people can raise with absolute clarity everyone can agree on? - No. History has more than proven that.

Does it give enough answers to sustain faith and trust and hope and joy in God? YES! ----- If one, through the blessing of the Holy Spirit of God who helps in understanding, honestly seeks those answers - see verses like Proverbs 8:16, Jeremiah 29:13, Lamentations 3:25.