View Single Post
Old 06-05-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
Have you tried an adjustable pressure regulator?
That may be a viable solution-however the wood chip box is cast iron and holds a lot of residual heat. In order to generate any smoke at a low setting I had to invert the smoker chip rack to allow the box to sit almost directly on the burner.

Even if I could adjust a pressure regulator low enough to not overcook the sausage-then I would have to get a very thin gauge smoker pan to allow the chips to smoulder properly.

With enough time and effort -I could absolutely modify this smoker to optimize the performance- However, I think the OP would be well advised to purchase a unit that requires no such"tweaking"

One positive benefit of the gas burner is a higher volume of drying air-which is handy in the fall and winter with a full load so that it does not condense the sausage moisture and start raining inside the unit as my old electric smoker did.

Also because it is gas- I have no cord-which means that I can position the smoker well away from the house and run it in the summer without having smoke coming in my open windows.

There is a lot about this smoker that I like- but the ability( due to design) to cold smoke is not one of them.

Last edited by omega50; 06-05-2012 at 08:13 AM.