View Single Post
Old 03-01-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Are you using the rubber handled ones or the birch handled knifes? I have several older "Made in Finland" birch handled Rapala knives and IMO they hold an edge as well as needed. Mine get put to use several times a week for most of the year, and with a few swipes on the steel between uses they are always shaving sharp.

I don't know if the new ones are the same but the wooden handled Rapala's still say "made in Finland", the rubber handled ones have always been made in China and are junk. I also had a Mora filet knife and it worked pretty good too. If I was in the market for a higher end knife I would go with a good old Canadian Grohman, I have a couple of their hunting knives and am very pleased with the quality.
Mine are the rubber/plastic handle which I prefer. I figured the wood ones would have the same blade just different handles but maybe they are different.

I have seen some comments about the wood handle ones not holding an edge great either but I wouldn't be surprised if the old ones were better quality steel.

Overall they are a decent knife especially considering the price point but you have to sharpen them often. Probably better ways to sharpen them too but I have always just used the fine and coarse sharpener that comes with them.