View Single Post
Old 03-07-2017, 07:22 PM
Gone Hunting

On another thread it was suggested that many new trappers don't know how to or don't care to put in the effort to properly prepare a pelt for market.

I have never taken a trapping course but if three days is all that is required I would suggest that such a course is woefully inadequate.

I learned trapping by first watching my dad, then making sets for small fur-bearers, Weasel and Squirrel. From there I graduated to preparing pelts my dad had caught. Just the badly damaged ones. Then on to making sets for Beaver, Lynx, and the rest, with dad critiquing my work.

And that was just the beginning of my trapping education. Over the years I learned from others and I learned from books. I also learned from trial and error but that's not usually the best way to learn.

The whole process took years and continues to this day.

I do agree that it makes no sense to require a experienced trapper to take a course, however, a test of basic knowledge and pelt handling ability might make some sense.

As for your resolution, I can't support it because I believe the whole program doesn't go nearly far enough.

I think making it easier will only attract more lazy people to the profession and I think that will ultimately turn public opinion against us and that will spell the end of trapping, forever.

George Bernard Shaw