View Single Post
Old 03-08-2017, 02:03 PM
Banned

There is nothing in the bylaws that states that resolutions have to be submitted through a Local. There are a lot of members that don't belong to a Local so that makes sense to me. It would be great if Locals discussed this issue among themselves and develop their own resolution.

Short of creating a longer, more expensive Basic Trapping course, I don't think that the course is designed to produce Trappers who are immediately proficient with trapping and putting up fur for all furbearers. How many days would be required just for beaver, for example? The course is merely a foundation to build upon and new Trappers still need mentoring and hands on experience after taking the course. This is where experienced Trappers need to step up and offer guidance to new Trappers. IMO making the course longer and more expensive would be detrimental to ensuring that the course is affordable and accessible to everyone that wants to start trapping. Alberta already has the most expensive Basic Trapping course of all the provinces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
I think change is already in the air, and a double tiered system might be in the works? Im not sure, but I think the second level would be based more upon ensuring trappers receive advanced training ie snaring vs boreal/agriculture region species.

We need to be careful or else we could end up with UK style law where you cant even pee outside without a permit.
If change is in the air I haven't heard anything about it and I have contacted both the President and the VP about the new trapline relinquishment system. The ATA is making great progress in keeping the membership informed and if this is something that's in the works then perhaps it would be good to communicate that to the membership. Regardless, I think that a formal resolution is best as casual conversation about issues like this don't seem to go anywhere.

I hear you loud and clear wrt the over regulation in the UK, Amen to that. I lived in Germany for 5 years and I experienced it first hand. Want to hunt, fish or even just ride an ATV.......Take a course! The end result is that only people well off with the disposable income can afford to participate in those activities. I don't think that we need that anywhere in Canada.

The big issue now is ensuring that RFMA's are being used as actual traplines. So, who is going to put in the most effort to trap them? A Trapper who can afford these courses and who is not dependent on the income that trapping generates, or a Trapper who NEEDS the income but can't afford to take the courses? I think that streamlining the course(s) and making them more affordable is in the best interests of trapping in Alberta.