View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baptiste_moose View Post
Great pics and what looks like an amazing hunt. I kinda agree with this post. I'm a hunter through and through but this just seems a little excessive. A porcupine man. Really? Anything moving. Not judging just not for me! Thanks for sharing beautiful pics.
First, I am an avid hunter myself and like most hunt for the meat. However, I agree with you baptiste_moose. I find this excessive (killing spree??) I get the impression that anything that moved got shot. Regardless. I do not quite understand why certain animals were taken? Some are considered endangered by some organizations. Leopards have only 2-3 cubs with a low survival rate. They are rare. Same with the small game antilope like duiker, klipspringer and Sevet cats with high pressure from the locals and predators of all kinds. Why those, I wonder?? Because you could? African countries are not known for conservation especially if rich "$American$" hunters hunt where the inflation is not even measurable (Zim). Their currency collapsed in 2009. Sad but true. Local African conservation organizations are constantly busy trying to protect animal populations for future generations. I am NOT a tree-hugger and have some meat in the freezer right now and my dad goes for Impala and Kudu annually. Maybe just concerned for the future of some species!!! Wild life there is NOT managed like here. Let me ask you this, did you have to get a tag of any kind for any of the animals or was it more a pay-as-you-go?? Did you (anyone?) get a draw for leopard? Money talks.....unfortunately AO members, please don't flame me as this was one reason we left there. Proper management ensures sustainability and survival and the governments don't have the money. Not just Zim.

Nube dude, I did not mean to rain on your parade. I apologize if I did. I am glad you had a good time and opportunity to fully experience the African continent and its wildlife. It is well worth the trip. I hope you can go back again one day. I also know the villagers appreciate the food on the table and the jobs they wouldnt have had without folks like you who save to make a dream come true. Maybe just be a little more selective on some species??? I am just trying to create some awareness as most hunters here (North America) have a misconception that there is an endless supply of animals. We usually also dont get much media coverage here about conservation (dwindling animal numbers) when there are always wars waging that get the headlines.......At least we have draws and limits to protect our wildlife with substantial consequences for poaching or mismanagement. Maybe I am just venting a bit......

Thank you for sharing your experience and excitement (and listening???). Nice trophies BTW!! Some of it no doubt biltong material ;-) I will get off my soap box now