View Single Post
Old 01-21-2021, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeforthree View Post
Here is a man I have a TON of respect to coyote calling, it will come again,,, too many guys educatin them? so funny I did a stand , and got a shot... shame on me ,,,,, went down two miles and did another stand ...zero came back and there was a truck at my first call place n the exact place I called// they may have us figured out.

Educating coyotes is a real thing. 15 years ago when I started calling none of the hunting stores even carried coyote calls and the clerks looked at me funny when I enquired about them. I found an E.l.k yote howler and pulled apart/ modified a deer grunt tube to use as distress call and my dogs chew toy for a squeaker. That year I shot 65 dogs. The next year some of the primos called started showing up on LGS shelves and I started buying and trying. My second year I got 120 dogs, third year 85. The following year I got married and had limited time out but still managed 48 coyotes. I spent hours studying and researching learning coyote vocalizations and crafting my skills. Then our first son was born and I pretty much shot 10-15/ year for me next few years because of lack of time... The thing was though looking back at my records those first few years I was running 90% on my stands then by year 5 I was down around 70% now it seems like I'm less than 20% for called in dogs vs stands set. This year so far I'm sitting at 10% .Everyone and their uncle are now out calling coyotes and the simple easy just sit down and blow a call tactics have had to change. New sounds new sequences are needed to consistently bring in coyotes. I haven't had the time to get after them like I want to but the last few years ,but With the difficulty level I know lots of " coyote " hunters who have just given up cause they can't seem to call any in. Secretly in hoping a bunch more will throw in the towel and remove some of the pressure lol. All that to say if you want to be a yote hunter it takes a lot of practice and skill and ability to adapt and change to figure out what will get you stand/ call percentage up.