View Single Post
Old 12-03-2019, 05:50 PM

Since Photobucket stopped working, I believe it would be a good start to the season with a let’s get back to the basics with better pic’s. Trust this will be helpful for anyone considering getting into making wire worms and perhaps a refresher for others. I welcome the contribution from other members, including pic’s & sharing tips on what worked makes fishing for Whitefish more fun when you catch them on a wire worm that you made.

Wish everyone reading this thread all the success this fishin season.

Cheers

D.

2019/2020 Hard Water Season Thread update:

Find some premium quality hooks, they’re stronger, sharper and have a thinner diameter which makes it easier to get glass beads over the hook/barb. I prefer a #8 or #10 in a Nymph or Streamer they seem to work the best for size, wrapping & hook setting.

Wire comes in various diameters, I prefer 20 ga, it’s available at most fly fishing shops, Michaels the craft store & Walmart.

Start with a decent size hook & red bead or glow bead. I use a pair of locking forceps, needle nose pliers & wire cutters.

Thread the wire through the beads.

Clamp forceps & wrap the wire.

Trim front/back wire ends.

Red Pattern with Glow Bead completed.

Another example in Brass – thread wire through the bead & start wrapping the back end first then cut off the tag end.

Clamp forceps on hook shank & wrap wire.

Trim cut Front

Two of my Favorite Productive Patterns Completed, sharpen/hone hook point.