View Single Post
Old 10-02-2017, 02:41 PM

So what is water proof, at least in my way of thinking.

I didn't know much about this till my older brother took on the Nahanni River runs with Neil Harding from White Horse.

Water resistant is just that,,, it resist water as long as it can, but sooner or later its going to come to the point that moisture will pass threw.

Water proof means water proof.

We know it works after we put it threw the tests,,, water proof gear gets the garden hose test.
That's right,,, a garden hose with town or city water pressure.

We stuff the hose into the rain pants & coat,,, turn the water full pressure as we allow the material to forum a balloon like shape as we grasp the material tight around the hose. Once we get both hands around the material with hose in the center the material balloon remains intact.

We know we got it right when we block the full pressure of the hose, rain gear tight so its not leaking any water.
Now we have 40 to 60++ water psi.

We hold it for 2 to 3 minutes making sure that the out side rain gear material is still 100% dry,,, "if" it passes we do a few seams to test them.

So Our/my water proof test is simple,,, not really as its time to dawn on the gear and put it to work.
A few days in the oil patch, on the farm and other out door activities. Back to the garden hose test.

If the rain suit passes, then we approve it as 100% water proof for our tasks at hand,,, Eskin or HH gear fits our needs.

This is where the venting comes in, at least for me that is since my body temps are like a roller coaster,,, I'm guessing that I'm not the only person that see this.

When we were Harvesting sheep back in the day we had crap for gear, then we got wize after that.

If we want to be statues, then we buckle up tight to block in the air and body temps, only to allow the smallest portions to escape,,, kinda like a house or shop dehumidifier.

Then we would open it up and idle along.
Dry is dry from the outside in, but the inside out means the same thing.

Rain gear, clothing, gloves, boots all have to work hand in hand if one wishes to sleep under the stars at night.
Our Northern Americas are not like the lower States or the East Cost where moisture is there all the time.
We are lucky since we have the dry cold...

This is not saying that there are other options out there, but when "I" push my limits,,, its sure nice being comfortable as it can possibly be during the whole stint.

Mind set is part of this, knowing that our human structure is taken care of allows us to focus on other things that need doing.

All Weather Stint is just that... Taking what Mother Nature throws at us as we "try to challange" it head on.

Reporting from to comforts of home as I regroup for many challanges ahead. Mother Nature hammered me hard on this outting.

Don at wizer next time as the comforts of life are all ways the top of my game plan

Last edited by Don_Parsons; 10-02-2017 at 02:47 PM.