View Single Post
Old 08-01-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
It really depend on the type of retail I think. The best job I've ever had was in my late teens/early 20's when I worked at an independent fishing and hunting store in BC. I ended up managing the fishing section. Getting paid to talk fishing and hunting all day long, while getting to handle all the cool new gear was awesome. Lots of perks too once the product reps got to know you. I got to try out protoype products, was given free lines and lures and would get dealer discounts. The shop I worked for gave employees 30% off everything except guns, which we paid cost + $25 for. Some smaller items usually under $50, we'd get for free now and then if the boss was in a particularly good mood.

I wouldn't want to work for a big box retailer as the management and clientele aren't the same as you get as a small independent with 50+ years in the community. If you find a good small shop to work for, it can be great though.

I'd still be in that industry but $10 per hour (I guess it'd be $15 per hour now with min wage increases) doesn't really fund the lifestyle I want.
I hear you. I’m more of a gun and hunting kind of guy. But I can’t spend 5 min listening to the brain dead drivel at gun counters nowadays and I definitely wouldn’t want to work a gun counter knowing im a contributing factor to letting those types loose in our beautiful forests. Hard no....