Thread: Sako vs Tikka
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2008, 04:26 PM
Banned

Sako 75/85 uses metal for the bottom, magazine, trigger guard, and bolt shrowd. They get at least one extra round in their magazines and they are flush to the bottom of gun. They cycle like greased minnows (as does the tikkas)...if you were blind folded and had hearing protection on you'd have a hard time telling if you were cycling air or an actual cartridge....greasy minnow slick!

The Tikka t3 uses lots of plastic. I just got a sako a7 stainless in my hands and the difference in price is in between the Tikka t3 and sako 85 and imo its worth it. It still has plastic magazine but now with steel feed lips. It still has bottom plastic & trigger guard, but stainless hangs down in front of and behind the magazine now, the magazine release in front of the magazine is stainless now, the back of the magazine now latches into stainless. The sling studs are stainless, as is the action screws now (torx instead of flat tip), the sling attachments that came with are stainless also, the front sling stud goes up into metal fitting so will not pull out or require a repair like the tikka's have had happen....tikka puts a nut on them to fix them if they brake and you send it in....so bipod guys will be happier with the sako A7.

The stock is nicer, seems stiffer, the checkering is more sharp and defined, feels better/grippier, front of stock seems slimmer. Action seems like maybe bit shorter bolt throw? Cycles same as Tikka except when lifting bolt on decocked gun....its stiffer on the A7. Comes with a tool for the back of the bolt that fits over it and you can re-cock the bolt i suppose? Maybe take it apart? I haven't read the instruction book yet.

The new magazine latch system on the A7 requires you to push up at the front a bit before you can trip the magazine release....keep you from losing one in the bush forsure although i have zero problem trusting my Tikka....just another nice little upgrade. I believe this is standard on the Sako 85's also.

Don't forget this other little upgrade on the A7, a button in front of the safety that allows you to empty the gun while the safety is on.

Overall i really dig the sako a7, its apart in front of me right now getting the full inspection as i know my tikka so well.

I can say the A7 is worth the extra over the Tikka if a guy can afford it. And i would say the sako 85 is worth the extra over the A7 if a guy can afford it. But for the guy on a budget that resembles the Tikka its still one helluva gun imo...just gets nicer/higher quality as you move up the ladder is all.

My two cents. Good luck with your choice. They all will shoot with each other in the accuracy dept. i'm pretty sure.

SC

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 12-16-2008 at 04:52 PM.