View Single Post
Old 10-24-2022, 10:41 PM

I'm one that used to shoot heavy weight. Don't think I'm paying for it now. Just old age and poor genetics.

I shot 75# Recurves back in the day. Late 60's &70's. I drew a 119# Compound once some friends roped me into that a dealer had set up as a joke at a Deer Classic.

The last 15 yrs or so I've crept down to low to mid 50's until nerve damage 4 years ago and tendon tears two years ago. Currently still getting my muscles and range of motion back but hope to be up to 50# normal right handed by spring.

Some of the down turn in weight overall is probably a older hunter group.
Also with carbon arrows and new tuning techniques, front loading and increased FOC create an arrow that doesn't require as much bow poundage to penetrate like the "old days". Everyone seems to want speed in an arrow. I've always said, QUIET will get you more results.

I wouldn't pause a bit to shoot any North American Big Game animal w a 50# bow and 500-700 gr arrows. Along with a cut on contact (COC) broadhead.

I didn't have anyone to teach me how to shoot initially. It wasn't until I found a archery shop w lanes and joined a league that I got tips on form and aiming etc.

BTW Jack can't shoot a bow anymore, tho he can still pull one he's building if its light enough.

I think another reason there are not many bowhunters or heavy Bows is its too much work for people that want instant success.

Last edited by Gun; 10-24-2022 at 10:50 PM.