View Single Post
Old 03-31-2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
The OP stated he wanted something with more oomph, for potentially longer shots and was considering a 7mm. I simply agreed with his step up. You appear to be the only one making potentially damaging meat an issue. One I do not agree with and I pointed to the much lauded 280 as a close comparison that I've also never heard of meat damage being on its list of attributes.

Answer is simple here. If you don't want the potential for damaged meat....Don't shoot animals in the MEAT.

7mm's a step up cartridge from 308. In pretty much every way outside the cost of handloading and for what the OP is looking for it sounds like very good option.
Op stated it was likely in that area shots would be within bow range....i have no dispute the 7mm is a step up and fantastic performer out past " normal" hunting ranges. My point is within " normal " ranges it has no advantage. For longer shots the 7mm is a great choice. Within bow range it holds no advantage... as for shooting meat....no one intentionally shoots " meat" but when bullets hit bone either on entrance or exit they create damage. Generally speaking the faster the bullet the more damage. I have often seen offside shoulders shot on slight quartering away shots as well as near shoulders shot on steep quartering shots. Have also had a 180 gr etip destroy a front shoulder and travel through the rear quarter on a mule doe on an extreamly steep quartering two angle. Shot was at 165 yards

For a high horse power round capable of longer range kills the 7RM is a good choice. I think the op will be very happy with his new rifle