View Single Post
Old 06-05-2023, 11:14 AM

Mid '90's I picked up a 79 Bronco. It had a 390 with headers and a lumpy cam that made it sound like a hog in heat. This was bolted to a 4 speed transmission. When I bought it, the fellow had put on 44" dick cepeks mudders. I towed it to the Pats Driveline and had them build me a couple of drive shafts and install them.

First trip was from Red Deer to a campsite about 150KM north of Meadow Lake SK, for some Walleye fishing. Buddy and I decided to drive into a burn area and get some firewood. We head in and find us a nice long stretch of skeg. I say to my friend "bet you 5 bucks I can get to the far side". Across the Skeg I go. When we got to the high ground we stopped and turned around. He said "bet you 5 bucks you can't get back". About 200 yards into the return trip we are stuck. I get out and pull the winch line out and attach it to a swamp spruce. Buddy is now driving and we have all 4 wheels spewing mud. We're making progress until I hear a click and the rear wheels stop turning. It's ok as we still have the front wheels working. We do this and get all the way back to the far side, about 400 yards. As we get to the high ground the truck stalls but won't start as we had drained the battery and it was hot.

We get out and walk about 5KM to the road, then it's 10KM back to camp. Horse flies are as big as hummingbirds and are eating us alive. Eventually a pick up came by with 3 passengers inside and a V8 Detroit in the back, they stop and offer us a ride but we have to sit in the back with the V8. We get to our camp road just as my Dad is coming out to look for us.

Next day we go back into the bronco with a quad and a 12 volt battery boost the truck. The read u-joint had let go. We robbed a ujoint from the front diff to get the driveshaft connected to the rear, and drive the unit all the way back to Red Deer.

After that adventure I changed out the gear set, put in lockers front and back

BW