Thread: The PCR Dilemma
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
Ya, I was thinking about the issue of dispersal, and I really don't know anything about crays in AB, so I won't speculate.

Just thinking there might be an alternative forage of some kind we haven't thought of.

I fished a lake trout lake in Northern ON once which was full of crays and the lakers fed on them as a primary food source. Medium sized and very plentiful fish. kinda cool
I highly doubt crayfish introductions would ever happen as they would easily disperse both upstream and downstream in the Willow Creek system.

My understanding on crayfish in AB is that they were only native to the Beaver River drainage (Cold Lake region). Then they were discovered in the NSR a number of years ago (perhaps 15 years ago) well east of Edmonton. We found them in our water monitoring equipment ten years or more ago at Pakan bridge on the NSR. Now they have moved up the NSR west of Devon - as far a we know.

The most famous or rather infamous illegal introduction of crayfish in the province is of course Mcleod Lake, better known as Carson-Pegasus Prov Park north of Whitecourt.

Last edited by Ronbill; 12-09-2011 at 11:17 PM.